What most people never told you about makeup

What most people never told you about make up

Disclaimer 1: I am not a professional makeup artist nor a beauty guru. Consider me your girl-next-door or a bestfriend that you can turn to when you need advice... :-)

Disclaimer 2: I am not telling you what to do, I am sharing what works for me.

Disclaimer 3: If you hate me, this post is not for you. You will see why. (contains 10000000000 selfies)

And I am here to tell you what most people/beauty gurus/instagram influencers never told you about makeup...

and that is 👇

"Makeup is all about enhancing your features."

Don't get me wrong, but I too admire the perfect-precision type of makeup... and it takes a skilful artist to achieve that. But that is not all there is to makeup.

Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Cosmetics

Considering the kind of influence that current celebrities/beauty gurus have over people... I see both sexes desperately trying to achieve such ideals and it is not necessarily BAD, but you gotta admit it is UNHEALTHY in the long run IF you don't know where to draw the line. With these unrealistic ideals of beauty, its no wonder you have the non-makeup girls throwing shade at the makeup-girls:

"I am not like those girls you see on Instagram with SO much makeup..."

OR 

"I don't even put makeup all I do is eat."

Good for you.

Look its understandable if you want to put on your game face for special occasions - three tubs of glitter on that cheekbone area? GO AHEAD. But make up is so much more.

Is it healthy to use makeup to "cover your insecurities"... (It's a temporary hideout.) OR is it better to accept and enhance what you are already given?

Now for people in their twenties, we know that we do have to wear makeup whether we like it or not... either

1. For professional settings - job interviews, presentations, meeting clients

2. OR for social settings - parties

And personally I know of friends who ARE interested in taking a step into the world of cosmetics... but are hesitant because of two things:

"But there are so many makeup products... I don't even know where to start?"

OR 

"I can't draw my face (like those celebrities) for shit. So i don't wear makeup at all."

Well I am here to help. 

I want you to erase these thoughts, read my post and keep in mind that today's mantra is: 
MAKEUP IS ALL ABOUT ENHANCING YOUR FEATURES, NOT DRAWING A PERFECT FACE.
And with that, you will only need the essentials



I want you to look in the mirror now with your face au naturel and ask yourself a few questions (without being self-derogatory):


Make up tutorial

DONT be afraid of question 2 and 4... I will update with more information later.

SO with the mantra of enhancing in mind, I will be taking myself as an example and conduct a step-by-step guide on how you can apply basic makeup. First, I will answer the questions:

1.  What do you need to enhance? 
- My eye/eye area. (oh chinese problems)
- My complexion

2. What product(s) do you need to enhance that particular feature? 
- Eyeliner
 - Eyeshadow to create depth to my eyes
- Mascara to lengthen my lashes

3. If it is product A that you need, what type of product A suits you most?
- Considering that I have oily skin, I prefer a long lasting eyeliner so I am choosing liquid eyeliner over pencil eyeliner
- For eyeshadow: I just want to create some depth, so a matte/or slight shimmer eyeshadow is fine.
- Again, considering that I have oily skin, I prefer a waterproof mascara.

4. Now what colour complements your skin tone most? 
- Now this comes with a bit of experimentation. For eyeliner, I feel brown suits me best because it gives a natural finish.
- I would go with neutrals - the brown/beige shades to add some colour to my eyes


WHAT NOW?

Knowing what you need to enhance is a good start to putting on makeup.

Personally, the first product I have ever used was a lipstick because I realised my pale lips had a way of draining colour off my face. My complexion looked lousy, and I just needed some colour.

That was a good guide, a much needed start. Because by buying the safest colour (think salmon pink) and having absolutely zero idea about the difference between matte or shimmer or WHATEVER, I was actually doing trial-and-error myself. (because nobody sent me this article 😉)

Having my basic needs met, I went on to ask myself, what else do I need? Is pink the right shade for me? How about.... red?

If I am a student running around five days a week, climbing Ngee Ann Poly's goddamn hills (thank heavens I have since graduated), which product is more suitable for a quick fix... lipgloss or a lipbalm/lipstick? 

And fret not, these are the questions that will naturally occur to you. You are not slow, or void of any artistic ability. YOU JUST NEEDED someone to tell you where to start!

With that, let the amateur tutorial begin.

1. Start with a fresh face. 

Biore Makeup remover

I don't usually use makeup remover wipes to clean off excess sebum on my face before I put on makeup... but just for this tutorial :-) :-)





imperfect but considerably clean canvas 💁

2. Proceed with skincare routine

I roughly talked about what I use for skin care in my 👉 Beauty in a Box post

But for the sake of this tutorial I will reuse some of the photos and elaborate more on my routine:


Left to right: Etude House Zero Sebum gel moisturiser, Clinique's clarifying lotion/toner for oily skin, Bio-essence eye cream, Hada Labo Lotion


Before you invest in a ton of skincare, it would be wise for you to get an understanding of your skin type. There are various skin types as follows:

1. Combination skin (most common for a hot ass country like Singapore)


2. OILY skin (when you realise you have highlighter all over your face even when you did not apply... you are under this category)

3. Dry skin 

4. Dehydrated skin 

But how do you identify?

1. If you have combination skin, your forehead and nose bridge would shine with oil 💆

2. If you have oily skin, you will look as if you just downed a whole tub of highlighter. 

3. If you have dry skin, your face feels tight or most notably, there exists flaky skin.

4. For dehydrated skin, WATCH for fine lines. Remember to apply lotion as they help to keep those cheeks hydrated 👶

For me, I picked a clarifying toner because I have oily skin and it helps to clean off excess sebum. 

Little tip: When I was working at Innisfree, I was taught that applying toner with a cotton pad will ensure that no nutrients are lost in the process. You wanna make sure you get everything you paid for in your skin.


For oily/combination skin, choose a gel moisturiser
Cream based moisturisers might be too heavy for oily skin types, and may clog pores!!! Don't say I didn't warn you 


Applying eye cream should be your last step :-)

How to apply? 

1. Squeeze a reasonable amount of eye cream on your ring finger
2. Rub both ring fingers in clockwise motion to generate heat, apply on your dark circles/eyebags/whatever.

Note: Apply in dabbing motions, from the inner corner of your eye to the most outerpart. Keep in mind that the eye is a delicate area 👶

AND YOU ARE DONE WITH SKINCARE. 

I think a lot of people fail to understand but applying skincare BEFORE makeup is of utmost importance because it protects and preps your skin for the products you are going to apply next. With ample preparation application will be smoother.

3. Framing my face: drawing my brows

Okay to be honest I was not blessed with pleasant eyebrows... I am no expert at this area either but see all the difference drawing your brows makes ✨



How? 

1. Start by drawing an outline for the shape that you want.

2. Fill it up, keep in mind that you want to achieve a gradient effect for a natural finish:
outer part should be darker, the inner section should be lighter.
To perfect this, you will need some practice and VIOLA.

BEFORE:



AFTER: 




6. Still working on em canvas: Apply foundation/bb cream/bb cushion



Now this is where you go back to our mantra:
MAKEUP IS ALL ABOUT ENHANCING YOUR FEATURES, NOT DRAWING A PERFECT FACE.
If you have healthy, clear skin, honestly... unless you have a few bucks to spare/or you are trying to achieve that kim k/kylie jenner perfect look... I would say SKIP THE BASE.

By base I mean foundation, bb cushion, bb cream, cc cream even.

If you don't know whats the difference, here's a guide:

1. Foundation

Comes in liquid/powder form. For oily skin, opt for powder.
Otherwise, go for liquid especially when you have dry skin.

Foundation is used for full to medium coverage usually. For your glam night outs, you could use a foundation :-)

2. BB cushion

Coverage varies. The one I'm using is Waterglow Cushion from Innisfree. Sheer coverage, and  it contains ingredients that will give you that korean "dewy skin". Personally I prefer using a bb cushion because its more convenient...

I don't apply it all over my face (just because Singapore is so damn hot 365 days a year) only areas where I want to brighten. Mostly: Below eye area, nose bridge and chin.

3. BB cream
I learnt that bb cream caters to people with problematic (acne prone) skin. Very sheer coverage.

4. CC cream
AKA colour correcting cream.  This is not exactly a base... its a base that you apply before foundation.

Functions of a CC Cream: Different colours are for different complexions.
E.g: If you have reddish skin, you might wanna go for the green CC cream. When you visit the shops, let the beauty advisor know what kind of complexion you have and they will recommend you :-)

Also, if you don't know which shade is suitable for you, apply a little on your inner wrists, compare it with your skin tone. Or else, you could dab a little on your neck. The key is that it must look natural. Not too fair, not too dark. Just a shade above your skin tone would be good.

5. Adding colours to your face: Blush em cheeks



Where to apply? 

On the apples of your cheeks. Do a little smile to see where exactly you want it to be. This is easy!

"... But which brush to use?"

When you get those travel kind of blushers/eyebrow palette... it usually comes with a mini brush that you could use. Otherwise, I advise you to skip splurging in Sephora, head to Watsons (APPLY FOR MEMBER PLS ITS SO WORTH IT) and get any brush that says "Blush brush" 💁



6. Enhancing your eyes: applying eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara

First, apply eyeshadow. I'm opting for a natural brown colour as seen below:
Its the palette to your left: the shade before the darkest brown.


Next, apply eyeshadow in circling motions on the outer corner of your lids to give it that much needed depth. Depth helps to create the illusion that your eyes look bigger than it really is 😉 

As for the inner corners, it helps to apply a light beige colour. I opt for the top shade. When the inner corner of your eye is lighter and the outer corner is darker, it creates contrast thus enhancing the size of your eyes!!! 👀

Now, eyeliner:

I really wanted to show yall how I apply eyeliner but I couldn't get a good shot. We all know liquid eyeliner can be a challenge to apply... but all it takes is a steady hand (rest your elbow on a table) and some precise strokes. Practice makes perfect 💅

LASTLY, mascara:



Curl YOUR lashes. It makes all the difference.

Don't be afraid to do this for fear of pain. Just be careful as your slowly move it closer towards your lashes. Give the eyelash curler a few pumps and you are done!

Now, applying mascara is straightforward... But with a few tricks here and there and you can perfect it.
Tip 1: Apply a few more layers to the outer corner of your lashes as it makes your eyes look bigger.

Tip 2: If your mascara is dried up, pump a few drops of moisturising toner to get that stuff gooey again :-)

7. LAST BUT NOT LEAST - apply lip balm/lipstick or both.



Personally... I always apply lip balm before I apply my lipstick :-) It helps to ensure a smoother application and it keeps my lips moisturised since some lipsticks can be very drying.



On the right you have lip balm and on the left, lipstick.

Lip balms - For sheer colour.

Lipstick - Way more saturated. Lasting.

Lipgloss - Same as lipstick, but it is more moisturising. A hassle to apply however. Not to forget... your hair gets stuck on it sometimes.

AND YOU ARE DONE!!!!

Before:



After:



Once you got the basics down, you are free to experiment. And this where you will be able to tell what colours suit you best. 😉

ANYWAY THIS WAS REQUESTED BY MY FRIENDS HOPE YALL FOUND IT HELPFUL

ALSO people who know me knows I don't take selfies very often. SO THIS POST IS AN EXCEPTION 👀

ALSO ALSO poll results:




Honestly, I would like to hear everyone's opinions on this.

Ver 👶

Comments